Laboratories face an array of challenges on a day-to-day basis, including lab testing and sampling. Every regulated laboratory that wants to meet environmental monitoring and assessment requirements must use a laboratory information management system (LIMS). LIMS is a key component in ensuring strict protocols are performed properly, and operations are harmonized.
What is LIMS?
A laboratory information management system (LIMS) is a type of software tool designed to improve lab productivity and efficiency. The software keeps track of raw data, samples, reports, and more; it also helps operate the lab’s workflow. Proper use of a LIMS significantly reduces the chance of human error.
Data is a precious source of information for testing laboratories. Errors in data jeopardize test results, which can lead to misinformed reports and misleading conclusions. LIMS software helps you produce reliable results that are both traceable and legally defensible, quickly and track data from sequencing runs across analyses.
Laboratories face multiple challenges with testing daily. They must maintain data quality and integrity, reduce sample turnarounds, reduce spending, automate testing workflows, and meet environmental guidelines. Therefore, LIMS implementation is vital.
How to Manage Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Protecting the environment and improving its quality is imperative for a balanced ecosystem and ultimately, public safety. An environmental laboratory performs a wide variety of tests that, over time, generate large amounts of data. If LIMS implementation is not part of environmental monitoring (EM), it usually means that the laboratory relies on paper, spreadsheets, and other manual tracking methods. This can lead to inconsistent and unreliable documentation.
LIMS key capabilities for environmental monitoring include:
- Sample Management: LIMS solutions can track samples from the point of collection, automating sample handling, and eliminate common sources of error
- Send Alerts and Notifications: LIMS generates alerts and notifications whenever your environmental monitoring system produces out-of-range results. These alerts allow labs to get ahead of problems before they become ongoing issues or lead to massive contamination.
- Integration and Time Management: Reduce errors by inputting data directly to your LIMS software and reallocate labor to more productive purposes.
- Configurable Interfaces and Workflows: LIMS simple browser interfaces let your staff add or modify chemical or biological testing methods without the need for additional programming.
- Sample Scheduling: LIMS creates a collection schedule for each sample. It will automatically assign collection tasks and generate reminders linked to sample collection procedures in order to improve performance.
- Secure Cloud: LIMS runs on a secure cloud platform, consolidating your data in a secure, accessible place.
Having a capable LIMS in place allows for processes to be kept in control, ensuring that facilities do not miss any required sampling or testing, preventing the generation of unreliable data, poor audit outcomes, and loss of accreditation.
Modern laboratories generate an unprecedented amount of data volumes, so labs must modernize their approach to managing, tracking, and centralizing data. BTSOFT, a worldwide software company, can help you and your lab with our ALPACA LIMS. ALPACA LIMS can play a vital role in producing high-quality data on a budget. LIMS enhances data quality and data integrity, automates laboratory workflows, and saves time and money. Contact us today to learn more about our ALPACA LIMS software.